We are now looking for an R&D Manager to join our busy team in Cambridge!
We have an exciting opportunity for an R&D Manager based at our Cambridge site to lead a team of scientists focused on innovation and technology development of our base editing platform. This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic person with strong interpersonal skills and management experience together with a high level of technical experience and a track record of driving forward innovation. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a dynamic team on cutting-edge science in an ever-evolving field of research and will be able to execute on the overall business strategy. The role will encompass both project and people management responsibilities and may also require hands-on time in the laboratory performing experiments as needed. The ideal candidate will be strong team player with excellent communication skills who is able to innovate, inspire, and lead by example.
R&D Manager Duties:
- Direct line management of a team of R&D scientists in the Base Editing team focused on technology development with a focus on building a strong, motivated, and successful team capable of delivery high quality science and supporting each member's personal and career development. Responsibilities include team recruitment, resourcing, people development, project prioritization, and budgeting.
- Support scientists in development of research projects and plans, interpreting experimental data, troubleshooting, discussing results, identifying next steps, and effectively summarizing data to stakeholders.
- Contribute and execute on the strategic direction of research projects in line with company and departmental objectives including independently conducting and/or leading high quality and complex scientific research and reporting on milestone delivery and project status to relevant Manager(s) and commercial teams.
- Responsible for managing and supporting relationships with internal and external partners including technical facilitation, preparing high quality data packages and reports, and analysis.
- Support generation of external content including articles, manuscripts, webinars, conference presentations, etc
- Maintain a focus on current and emerging techniques/technologies, whether threats or opportunities, and proactively provide recommendations and action plans for applying these to research into base editing including generation of new ideas and intellectual property
- Be an effective team member in supporting the research and development functions across all of Horizon
R&D Manager Requirements:
- A Ph.D. in a relevant field (such as cell biology/biochemistry/genetics or a closely related field) plus extensive experience as a manager of a team of scientists. Relevant experience in an industry setting and in working with gene editing/modulation technologies is highly desirable. Strong publication and patent invention record.
- Considerable hands-on experience in the field of CRISPR and/or gene editing and its application to cell and gene therapy (C>), ideally with direct experience using next generation CRISPR technologies (e.g. base editing, prime editing, nucleases, deaminases, etc).
- Direct experience managing a diverse team of scientists is a must for this role; with demonstrable experience empowering, inspiring and leading others.
- A proven track record of delivering R&D projects with demonstratable strategic input; solution focussed with excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities. Able to leverage project management skills in defining deliverables, resources needed, and the total costs involved.
- Experience in effectively communicating relevant and timely updates to key stakeholders including senior leaders; proactively proposing solutions, next steps, and future plans.
- A strong record of innovation including contributing to patent applications and evaluating and bringing in new technologies and leading multiple evaluation projects concurrently. Understanding of intellectual property (patent protection) and the strategies needed to protect novel technologies/methodologies.
- Experience leading and managing collaborations including providing technical support to external parties.
- A team player with strong interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills; comfortable presenting on a frequent basis both internally and externally.
- A fast learner who can effectively immerse themselves in new subject areas and apply this knowledge to drive and influence projects. Willing to support scientists in the lab by performing experiments as needed.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability to work in a fast-paced, matrix-managed environment
About the Company:
Horizon, a Perkin Elmer company, is a leading life science company that delivers science-driven research solutions advancing the understanding of the genetic basis of disease and the delivery of better healthcare outcomes for patients. We act as a discovery partner for leading pharma and biotech companies worldwide, providing research services and tools to support the development of personalized medicines.
If you feel like you meet the above criteria of the R&D Manager, please apply now!
PerkinElmer is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. PerkinElmer is committed to a culturally diverse workforce.