Overview: POSITION: Mechanic "C"DEPARTMENT:
Under the direction of the Director of Maintenance, is a technically skilled Maintenance Department employee capable of performing all service, troubleshooting, diagnostic tests, preventative maintenance inspection, and some technical repair to all transit vehicles and equipment with some supervision. Demonstrates ability to perform and execute all service, troubleshooting, diagnostic tests, preventative maintenance inspection, and some technical repair using manufacturer's technical publications and Company plans, schedules, and procedures. Executes work assignments in accordance with job standards set forth by the Company. Applies effective quality assurance practices in the performance of all work assignments to avoid repeat vehicle or equipment discrepancies and applies safe maintenance practices. Proficient in operating shop tools and equipment. Reports and is supervised by the Shift Supervisor. In the absence of the Shift Supervisor, reports and is lead to accomplish assigned tasks by a senior Class A or B Mechanic serving as a Lead Mechanic or Leaderman.
Transit Mechanics needed at GoRaleigh.
Why Work with Us?
- Competitive Wages
- Comprehensive benefits including health (medical, dental, and vision) and group life insurance
- Career advancement opportunities owing to Transdevs presence in over 200+ communities across North America
- Bonus paid yearly for all certifications
Responsibilities: Illustrative Examples of Work:
Perform and execute all service, troubleshooting, diagnostic tests, preventative maintenance inspection, and most technical repair on vehicles and equipment using manufacturer's technical publications and Company plans, schedules, and procedures. Executes work assignments in accordance with job standards set forth by the Company. Applies effective quality assurance practices in the performance of all work assignments to avoid repeat vehicle or equipment discrepancies and applies safe maintenance practices. Assist the Shift Supervisor to (1) execute departmental plans, programs, and procedures to meet department goals and mission requirements, (2) maintain safe reliable equipment, (3) promote a positive team effort, (4) conduct quarterly shop meetings and training, (5) report infractions of the Company's safety and maintenance standards, rules and policies, contracts or agreements. Reinforce the same and/or when necessary seeks the assistance of a Company Supervisor to implement progressive discipline and (6) promote a safe and professional work environment.
This position is classified as Safety Sensitive; employees in this position are subject to drug and alcohol testing as prescribed by the Federal Transit Administration.
Qualifications: Minimum Qualifications:
Knowledge required by the position:
- Associates' Degree in Medium to Heavy Duty Mechanics with one year Medium to Heavy Duty Mechanics experience preferably with transit buses but, may accept same training and experience in trucking, automotive, and/or other similar equipment maintenance management.
- A high school diploma or GED supplemented with one year Medium to Heavy Duty Mechanics experience and Technical training (Formal or On-The-Job) preferably with transit buses but, may accept same training and experience in trucking, automotive, and/or other similar equipment maintenance management.
- Prefer ASE certifications in some desired skills, but may consider other certifications.
- Must pass a reading and technical skills knowledge test established by the Company and provide requested documents to validate previous work experience, education, training, certification and proficiency required by this job description.
- Must have a good driving record.
- Must have or be able to obtain a NC Commercial Drivers License - Class "B" with P endorsement.
- Must pass a physical examination as prescribed by GoRaleigh policy and as required in U.S. Department of Transportation regulations (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations 391.43)
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Proven ability to use both a computerized and manual system in opening, closing and accounting of vehicle and equipment work orders, which includes man-hours, parts, materials, and tools.
- Proven ability to assist a Shift Supervisor to execute maintenance plans and work schedules to ensure operational goals and requirements are maintained within the standards required by the Company.
- Proven ability to assist the Shift Supervisor and/or Leaderman in managing equipment life cycle overhaul and replacement using oil analysis and warranty claims.
- Knowledge of FASTER NT, Fuel Master, E-Time, MS Excel and Word is most desirable for the successful candidate.
- Proven skills and ability to assist the Shift Supervisor and/ or Leaderman coordinate contract maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Proven ability to prepare and submit timely and accurate reports.
- Proven ability to work with and deal with a work force, which is largely organized labor.
- Knowledge of safety standards
- Must possess tools for Class C Mechanic as established by the Company.
- Forklift License
- Commercial Driver License with "Passenger" endorsement.
- Skilled in both verbal and written communication.
- Skilled in problem solving and decision making.
- Alignment (Preferably Front and Rear)
- Brake (Preferably Air, Disk and Antilock)
- Destination Signs (Preferably Voltron and Luminator)
- Electrical (Preferably 12 and 24 volt systems)
- Engine (Preferably Cummins)
- Farebox (Preferably Genfare)
- Fuel (Preferably Diesel, Kerosene, and Gasoline)
- Heat & Air (Preferably Thermal King)
- Suspension (Preferably Heavy Duty Air)
- Transmission (Preferably Allison or ZF)
- Wheelchair Lifts (Preferably Lift-U)
- Director of Maintenance
- Assistant Director of Maintenance
- Shift Supervisor
- Must read and speak English clearly and possess the ability to see, hear, think, speak and write clearly.
- Must be physically able to perform all responsibilities, skills and abilities, including lifting up to 75 pounds.
- Individuals must be able to work independently, performing multiple tasks.
- Required to work varying shifts and overtime, as necessary.
- Must remain alert to prevent accidents
If you have any questions, please contact us at melissa.dunn@
For more information please visit our website at
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions upon request.
Transdev is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or other legally protected status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster: .cfm
Drug free workplace
If based in the United States, applicants must be eligible to work in US without restrictions for any employer at any time; be able to pass a drug screen and background check